The Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park was built in the 1950’s to memorialize the first victims of a nuclear attack.
The park covers an area which was close to the hypocenter of the blast. Once Hiroshima’s busiest commercial district, the area is now a beautiful park embraced by the Honkawa and Motoyasu rivers on either side.
Sculpted trees, flower gardens and monuments have transformed a site of destruction into an attractive place to pay tribute to the victims and advocate for world peace. Every year on August 6, the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony is held in this park.