There have always been meows here. The nuns were allowed, besides their slaves or their servants, to have companion animals. Most of them were cats, but they could be birds, because of the possibility of having them in their cell.
Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz lived from 1668 until her death in 1695 in the convent of San Jerónimo, which now houses a University; her remains rest here, in the lower chorus of the former temple. If the Tenth Muse had a cat, it is not clear, there is a text where she makes mention of a cat.
The colonies of cats were very common in the viceroyalty city – and they remain so -. In fact, it was sought to have them to prevent the proliferation of pests. In the pre-construction phase, the building was abandoned and the neighbors left cats here … this was full of cats living in a semi-wild way.
In 1976, exploration and restoration works were carried out, during which feline skeletons were found. It was not that they were buried with the nuns, as the Egyptians did, simply by dying buried here. In the yard assigned to cats at the Sor Juana University, there are four baskets, three cushions, a water dispenser and croquettes. A cone lined with rope is the playground. They also have the huge patio. Under a bush, a white speck jumps from one corner to another and vanishes in the undergrowth. Between the benches, a nimble black cat stalks. From the north side, a blond cat comes to the fountain and there it stays, blinking lazily.