Ojuela was a small mining settlement located northwest Torreón, Coahuila in northern Mexico. The settlement is now well known as a ghost town as a result of its ore being exhausted.
Ojuela was established after the discovery of gold and silver mines in the area in 1598. The Ojuela Mine produced a large quantity of mineral during the last part of the 19th century. With the advent of the railroad, all the extracted ore were transported away from the mine by train and processed in the nearby town of Mapimí, Durango.
Currently the main buildings and other structures are in ruins. It is possible to visit this location and recognize the old church, the foundations of the miners houses, the warehouses, other mining facilities and to have a guided tour down the access of the former mine. The only surviving and functional structure is a suspension bridge.
The bridge is known as “Puente de Ojuela” (Ojuela Bridge) by the locals. The original bridge was designed by the famous Roebling brothers, who also designed the Brooklyn Bridge. At the time of construction, the Puente de Ojuela was the third longest suspension bridge in the world. It was rebuilt recently by the Peñoles Company, the original was scrapped and only the main arches are now displayed at the Torreón Exposition Center.