The Cosmic Ray Pavilion was designed by Felix Candela, considered the great master of the shells of reinforced concrete. These lightweight structures contain an impressive mathematical complexity of great resistance, but which is complemented by the beauty and simplicity of its shape.
Located in Mexico City and built in 1951, this work represents one of the first approaches to parabolic structures, becoming a small-scale icon building.
This structure of almost minimal thickness, was the first important work of the architect of double curvatures. This pavilion has the great feature of being covered by this shell of not more than 15 millimeters in its thickness (in the highest part), structure that can also be seen from inside the laboratory.
The small volume houses two specialized laboratories in the measurement of the cosmic rays and the nuclear disintegration of the National Autonomous University of Ciudad Universitaria. The thinness of this particular and innovative 12 x 10.75 meter structure is ideal for the laboratory function, since the shell allows the cosmic rays to pass through.